Sikkim 2016-12-25T14:07:46+00:00

Nestled in the lap of the Eastern Himalayas, Sikkim a former Himalayan Kingdom joined as the 22nd state of India on the 16th May 1975. Prior to 1975 Sikkim was ruled by the Chogyals of the Namgyal dynasty, the lineage dating back to 333 years.

The first ruler of Sikkim Chogyal Phuntshok Namgyal was consecrated king in 1642 at Narbugang, Yuksom in West Sikkim.

Sikkim is said to have derived its name from Su-khim which In Limbu means “New Home”.

It is also called Nya-mayel-liang for the Lepchas , the original inhabitants of Sikkim which means abode of the gods or Denzong – the hidden “Valley of Rice” for the Bhutias.

Sikiim is inhabitated by the three ethnic communities of today live in peaceful harmony and co-existence.

Rapid strides of development have taken place since Sikkim chose the democratic form of government and joined the national mainstream. Today, this land where Mount Khangchendzonga is located is fast developing as a model state in the country.

With peace and tranquillity being its biggest USP. Sikkim is also fast developing as a major tourist destination to both foreign and domestic tourist who come in large numbers.

From the pristine and unspoilt natural beauty to the snow capped peaks, alpine landscapes, luxuriant forests, the rivers, flora and fauna many of them rare, sacred and icy lakes, picturesque waterfalls Sikkim has it all abundance.

Sikkim shares with three international borders. It is flanked by Nepal on the western side, Bhutan on one side and the Tibet Autonomous region of China in the North and East. Being a border state peace and tranquillity prevails here unlike other border state of the country.


For foreigners to enter into Sikkim an Inner Line Permit (ILP) is required to visit the state. The permits can be obtained from all the Indian Missions, Sikkim Tourism Offices and also at state border check post (Rangpoo and Melli).

In case you need to visit restricted areas in Sikkim like Tsomgo Lake and areas in North Sikkim beyond Phodong you require a Restricted Area Permit (RAP). For this you can consult the Tourism Information Centre at Gangtok or get in touch with any local travel agency.